J Genomics 2013; 1:39-44. doi:10.7150/jgen.3949 This volume
1. Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
2. College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University, Yangling, Shaanxi Province 712100, China
3. Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Viçosa, Viçosa, MG 36570-000, Brazil
4. United States Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Services, Athens, GA 30605, USA
5. Program in Cellular and Molecular Biosciences, Department of Animal Sciences, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Adipose tissue is derived from numerous sources, and in recent years this tissue has been shown to provide numerous cells from what seemingly was a population of homogeneous adipocytes. Considering the types of cells that adipose tissue-derived cells may form, these cells may be useful in a variety of clinical and scientific applications. The focus of this paper is to reflect on this area of research and to provide a list of potential (future) research areas.
Keywords: adipocytes, stromal vascular cells, mature adipocytes, stem cells, transdifferentiation